Monday, August 21, 2006

Future DocWilson’s Book Meme

I have seen this great idea on The Goldfish's website, so I wanted to add my two cent...

Future DocWilson’s Book Meme

1. One book that changed your life?

The Autobiography of Malcom X, would be at the top of the list. I man whom American history is just starting to consider for his oratory and personal triumph or adversity.

2. One book that you have read more than once?
Well, I would have to concur with The Goldfish, about The Bible. Not only is it a religious text, but is the source of many philosophical (Proverbs), and cultural (Creationism versus Evolution) concepts and ideas.

3. One book you would want on a desert island?
I do not think one book would do it, so I would have to hedge this one, and go with a completed works set, in a leather binding. I think the collected speeches of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. These speeches are motivational, and insightful. I would also go with the Complete Works of Tolstoy.

4. One book that made you laugh?
I'm sorry, I can not restrict myself to one. If I choose The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy then that means I have to neglect Puckoon, and Three Men in a Boat, and No Bed for Bacon, and Clive James's Unreliable Memoirs, and My Family and Other Animals, and The Cat Who Came in from the Cold, and Pickwick Papers, and....so I won't choose any.

5. One book that made you cry?
One Thousand Years of Solitude. A strange book, that tells the story from the end, and threads its way backwards, to explain tragedy. Gabriel Garcia Marquez has the power to find the paintful, private truth of life and love. gem.

6. One book you wish you had written?
Roots, by Alex Haley. This book created a whole academic specialities around genology, travel through the African Diaspora to slavery sites, and increase the number of African American family reunions. It also helped to decrease several prevalent myths around the dynamics of slavery, and slave families. Fascinating.

7. One book you wish had never been written?
Mein Kampf. It creates a platform for serious consideration of racism, antisemetism and other Ayran disfunctional constructs.

8. One book you are currently reading?
Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, an American Slave, by himself. This is a great book, which gives insights on slavery, and American political thought of the 1800’s. It also is inspiring on how far someone can come, by grit determination and a few random acts of kindness.

9. One book you have been meaning to read?
I have hear and seen various versions of Homer’s the Oddessey. Any book that have been so copied, parodied and retold is a must for required reading.

10. Now tag five people.

No comments: